Dodge the Bullet
★ Cathy Ace
★ Vicki Delany
★ Steena Holmes
★ Fonda Lee
★ Dave Reynolds
★ Morgan Rhodes
Mutiple winner of the
The June planning meeting will be held online (TBA) on June 14 starting at 10 AM.
WHEN WORDS COLLIDE CANCELLED
Our Tenth Edition will be pushed to August 2021. All our 2020 guests have agreed to come.
Those who have bought passes have two options:
- Refund (email us to request a refund before August 1st)
- Applying pass to next year (you don't have to do anything)
The Festival has Sold Out
Public Events (festival pass not required):
- Festival Guest readings. This year's festival guests—Cathy Ace, Vicki Delany, Steena Holmes, Fonda Lee, Dave Reynolds, and Morgan Rhodes—will be reading at the Fish Creek Public Library on Thursday August 13th from 7-9 pm. They will also be reading at the Delta Calgary South Hotel on Friday August 14th from 1-3 pm in the Bonavista Ballroom (Tower Building).
- Autograph Session. Our festival guests joined by 70+ attending authors will be signing books on Saturday August 15th from 8-10 pm in the Bonavista Ballroom (Tower Building).
- Saturday Night Rapid Readings by attending authors. Saturday August 15th from 7-9 PM in the Fireside Room (Tower Building).
- Merchants Corner. Books by our festival guests and attending authors and publishers are available all weekend during daytime hours in our Merchant Room located in the Nakiska Ballroom (Atrium Building).
- Hidden Art Show. 2-D and 3-D works by attending artists are viewable (with some for sale) all weekend during daytime hours in our Art Room located in the Lake Louise Room (Atrium Building, 2nd floor above the Nakiska Ballroom).
Jonas Saul Keynote
Leanne Shirtliffe Keynote
2019 Lisa Mangum Keynote
High Crimes In Your Own Backyard
Podcast — Short Stories As a Stepping-Stone
Build the emotional connections, so readers feel like the characters are real people.
Writing from the Body
Festival Guest Readings
The readings begin with Kat Flannery, who writes historical fiction, westerns, suspense, romance. She likes to mix it all together and maybe a little whiskey.
The readings continue with science fiction and fantasy author James Alan Gardner who likes math and geology and teaches kung-fu to kids. (PG for coarse language.)
Next up is writer and editor Lisa Mangum whose first paid work in the literary world was shelving books at the Sandy Library in Utah. She works at Shadow Mountain Publishing and has published a time-travel/romance trilogy.
Jonas Saul is a prolific writer of thrillers with more than 30 novels and 50 short stories to his credit. He started as an indie author, but after selling more than 2 million books, traditional publishing came calling. (PG for language)
Last, but not least, Leanne Shirtliffe is a teacher who is also the author of seven picture books for children and two books of non-fiction humour about parenting.
Following the readings, fesitval guests Kat Flannery, James Alan Gardner, Lisa Mangum, Jonas Saul and Leanne Shirtliffe discuss e-books versus hard copies, indie versus traditional publishing and other issues.
That's All, Folks!