Alexandra Writers Centre
MERCHANT / AFFILIATE
Winner of this year's Aurora Award for best volunteer-run organization.
The October planning meeting will be held downstairs at the Brentwood Co-op, 4122 Brentwood Road NW, Calgary on October 11 starting at 10 AM.
The Festival has Sold Out
Public Events (festival pass not required)
- Festival Guest readings. This year's festival guests - James Alan Gardner, Jonas Saul, Kat Flannery, Leanne Shirtliffe, and Lisa Mangum - will be reading at the Fish Creek Public Library on Thursday Aug 8th from 7-9 pm. They will also be reading at the Delta Calgary South Hotel on Friday Aug 9th from 1-3 pm in the Bonavista Ballroom (Tower Building).
- Autograph Session. Our festival guests joined by 70+ attending authors will be signing books on Saturday Aug 10th from 8-10 pm in the Bonavista Ballroom (Tower Building).
- Saturday Night Rapid Readings by attending authors. Sat August 10th from 7-9 PM in the Fireside Room (Tower Building).
- Merchants Corner. Books by our festival guests and attending authors and publishers are available all weekend during daytime hours in our Merchant Room located in the Nakiska Ballroom (Atrium Building).
- Hidden Art Show. 2-D and 3-D works by attending artists are viewable (with some for sale) all weekend during daytime hours in our Art Room located in the Lake Louise Room (Atrium Building, 2nd floor above the Nakiska Ballroom).
Advance Sign-up Now Open
Picking of the brains of indie and small press publishers. What do they want? How do they want to be approached? How do they handle marketing? Axel Howerton, Kelsey Attard, Neil Enock, Ellen Mitchelle, Joe Compton(M). http://whenwordscollide.libsyn.com/2018-006-the-publishers-panel
Our latest podcast is the alternate-alternate history panel. This 'what if' panel features Michael Skeet, Ron S. Friedman, Ronald (R.J.) Hoare, Therese Greenwood, Joe Compton discussing the game of 'what if' played by changing historical events and letting those changes trickle or cascade to create story history.
Yes, Alberta, You Have A History
From dinosaurs to First Nations, from family farms to oil sands: what does everyone know—or think they know—about Alberta's history? Madeline Shaw-Wong, Shirley Smith Matheson, Jim Jackson, Faye Reinberg Holt. Podcast.
We've Been Edited
Carrie Mumford, Peter V. Brett, Edward Willett, E. C. Bell, Raina Schnider—Writers who have been edited discuss their positive experiences along with examples of edits that have made the final piece of writing better. Editors, beta readers, deadlines, and friendships, oh my!
Researching Made Easy
Researching Made Easy: Another podcast from WWC 2018. Primary sources, libraries, archives, travel, bibliographies and Wikipedia(?). How to get it right before you write. Barb Galler Smith, Joe Compton, Michael Skeet, Tracy Cooper-Posey, S. G. Wong
WestJet Discount for WWC Festival Attendees
WestJet is offering the When Words Collide Festival attendees a discount on flights travelling from August 3 - 18, 2019. Book with our code, A9UM21F and receive 5% off Econo and 10% off Flex and Plus base fares for domestic travel, and 2% off Econo and 5% off Flex and 10% off Plus base fares for trans-border travel between Calgary and anywhere WestJet flies in North America. If booking through a travel agent, use code A9UM21F. To book online, visit https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-trip/groups-charters/convention-travel/
The website has been renovated and registration is now open. Cruise over to the registration page and get your pass for 2019's festival.