Things to prepare before the festival:
- Autograph Session: On Saturday evening we are hosting an autograph session from 8-9 PM where 50+ authors, including our festival guests, will be available to sign books. This event is open to the public, so tell your friends and bring books to be signed. (A list of participating authors will be posted once finalized.)
- Book Sales: If you are an author, check with the appropriate publishers and book sellers to be sure they have your books available in the Merchants' Corner. If they don't carry your books, ask about the authors' cooperative table for unrepresented authors.
- Manuscripts: A few things you can do.
- Live Action Slush: Bring the first 1-2 pages of your novel or short story to be read anonymously out loud and get feedback from our panel of experts on what happens when your submission hits the slush pile. (No one will know it is your manuscript unless you tell them.)
- Blue Pencil Café: Bring 1-2 pages of your manuscript (typed, 12-point font, double-spaced) and get advice from an industry professional.*
- Pitch Session: Run your pitch by an acquisition editor or other industry professional for advice and perhaps a submission request.*
- Saturday evening banquet: Details here.
- Registration opens at noon on Friday and 9 AM on Saturday/Sunday. While
we try our best to be organized we are all human. It is strongly
suggested you bring proof of membership payment with you just in case
there is an error in our records.
Friday 12 PM - 8 PM Saturday 9 AM - 5:30 PM Sunday 9 AM - 4:30 PM
- *Advance sign-up for Pitch Sessions & Blue Pencil Café is
available via email (see notice on our main page). For any unfilled
session, a sign-up book will be available near registration starting
at 12 PM Friday.
Even if you have emailed us your manuscript for a Blue Pencil session (max 1000 words, typed, double-spaced) bring a copy with you to get advice from an industry professional.
- Merchants Corner: Visit our Merchants Corner between sessions to speak with publishers, writers associations, and booksellers, and to find books by attending authors.
Hospitality: This year we are trying something new. Instead of a crowded hospitality suite we have booked the private room and patio at the Boomtown Pub connected to the hotel where WWC will be hosting on Saturday and Sunday from 12 PM to 5 PM and Sunday evening from 7 PM till close. The Calgary Crime Writers host Friday evening 9 till close for Noir at the Bar and IFWA (the Imaginative Fiction Writers Association) hosts Saturday evening from 9 PM till close. Drop by and say hello.
- Daytime Socials: Check the program for book launches, teaser readings, and other social events. Also see the Socials Poster.
- Evening socials: All festival attendees are invited to drop by and mingle at all of the hosted socials.
- And finally, Don't forget to bring your sense of excitement, awe, and wonder. We'll see you on August 14, 2015
Food, Glorious Food
We have a restaurant guide available so you can see where to get food within strolling distance of the festival.